The M8 is one of the world’s most-produced armored cars. The six-wheeled machine was used primarily as a speedy all-terrain reconnaissance vehicle by the British and U.S. Army during World War II. While originally developed as a tank destroyer in the months before Pearl Harbor, it soon became clear the vehicle’s 37mm gun could not penetrate the armor of most of the recently introduced enemy tanks.
History of the Artifact
As a scout vehicle, the Greyhound could take on light-skinned machines and was protected by small arms fire and shrapnel with angled armor up to .75 inches thick (front and turret) and .375 inches (sides). However enemy tanks, or even 20mm autocannon-equipped scout cars, could punch through an M8’s steel body.
While considered better than most U.S. scout cars and halftracks, the M8 had poorer than anticipated off-road performance in mud or snow. The vehicle was also was built with a very light-skinned floor, making the Greyhound vulnerable to land mines. Industrious crews were known to put down a layer of sand bags on the floor of the vehicle as extra protection.
By late 1944, many Greyhounds were shifted to the Pacific. After the war, most M8s were sold a surplus to foreign nations. Some are still used today by fighting forces in South and Central America as well as Mexico.