The Fw 190 D-13 was the near pinnacle of German piston engine technology. The most notable change to the potent and successful Fw 190 fighter design was the late-war addition of a Junkers Jumo engine in the place of the earlier versions equipped with BMW radials. These “long-nosed” Focke-Wulfs, “D-models,” also had a stretched aft fuselage to maintain the fighter’s center of gravity.
D-model fighters proved to be the most successful examples of the 190 series, competing with the P-51 Mustang and late-model Spitfires on even terms. However, Germany’s lack of well-trained pilots and shortage of fuel at the late stages of the war made the new Fw 190 D a less than effective weapon.
History of the Artifact
This is the only Fw 190 D-13 to have survived the war. The aircraft entered service in March of 1945 and served as the commander’s plane of Jagdgeschwader (fighter wing) 26.
In May of 1945, and the plane was surrendered to the Allies and shipped to Freeman Airfield, Indiana, for evaluation. It was later given to Georgia Institute of Technology and then passed through several private owners before being acquired by Doug Champlin in 1972.
In 2001, Gosshawk Unlimited completed a thorough restoration on the rare plane. The Fw 190 D-13 was acquired by the Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum in 2007. It will not be flown because it is the only one of its type left in the world.
Did you know?
Though housed in a cylindrical nose, this plane’s Jumo engine is a liquid-cooled V-12.